“It Happens All the Time” is No Excuse
Raise your voice and #speakout this April against sexual assault.
As a book community, we need to come together to use our words, our blogs and our social presence to #speakout against issues that are important to us. In past years, you’ve spoken out with us and we’ve donated money to suicide prevention, domestic violence and anti-bullying organizations and we can’t thank you enough. This year, we’re speaking out against sexual violence and partnering with author Amy Hatvany and the King County Sexual Assault Resource Center (KCSARC).
Here are 5 ways you can #SPEAKOUT with us:
- Buy it: 30% of all proceeds from It Happens All the Time purchases made on April 19, 2017, will go directly to KCSARC. Buy the book then email us your receipt.
- Blog it: Help us spread the word on your own blog. Use the #speakout badge in your post, include it on your site sidebar, and link it back to this blog post using this link: http://bit.ly/2mO2JRm. Let your fans know that it’s time to #SpeakOut against sexual assault. Feel to free to post your support any time in April, but we’d love to have you spread the word on April 19, 2017, especially when a portion of the sales of It Happens All the Time will be donated to KCSARC.
- Facebook it: Update your Facebook cover photo profile pic with the #speakout badge and POST THIS: It’s time to #SpeakOut against sexual assault with @BookSparks @AmyHatvany @KCSARC. Learn how YOU can #speakout here: http://bit.ly/2mO2JRm.
- Tweet it: Update your Twitter cover photo and profile pic and click here to tweet this: #SpeakOut against sexual violence TODAY! Make a difference with @BookSparks @KCSARC @AmyHatvany http://bit.ly/2mO2JRm
- Brand It: Download our #SpeakOut Graphics and share them on your social platforms using our #SpeakOut hashtag and tagging @BookSparks @AmyHatvany @KCSARC.
Spread the word on April 19, 2017!
About the Book
From master storyteller Amy Hatvany—whose writing has been hailed as “gripping and emotionally honest” (Stephanie Evanovich, New York Times betselling author)—comes a provocative and compelling novel about two friends whose lives are changed by a drunken kiss.
I want to rewind the clock, take back the night when the world shattered. I want to erase everything that went wrong.
Amber Bryant and Tyler Hicks have been best friends since they were teenagers—trusting and depending on each other through some of the darkest periods of their young lives. And while Amber has always felt that their relationship is strictly platonic, Tyler has long harbored the secret desire that they might one day become more than friends.
Returning home for the summer after her college graduation, Amber begins spending more time with Tyler than she has in years. Despite the fact that Amber is engaged to her college sweetheart, a flirtation begins to grow between them. One night, fueled by alcohol and concerns about whether she’s getting married too young, Amber kisses Tyler.
What happens next will change them forever.
In alternating points of view, It Happens All the Time examines the complexity of sexual dynamics between men and women and offers an incisive exploration of gender roles, expectations, and the ever-timely issue of consent.
About the Author
Amy Hatvany graduated with a degree in Sociology only to discover most sociologists are unemployed. Soon followed a variety of jobs – some of which she loved, like decorating wedding cakes; others which she merely tolerated, like receptionist. In 1998, Amy finally decided to sell her car, quit her job, and take a chance on her passion: writing books.
Her background in sociology inspires and informs much of her writing as she tackles timely and controversial issues in her novels including mental illness, domestic abuse, and alcoholism. She is the author of BEST KEPT SECRET, OUTSIDE THE LINES (a Target book club pick in 2012 and a Costco Pennie’s Pick in 2013), THE LANGUAGE OF SISTERS, HEART LIKE MINE, and SAFE WITH ME.
Amy spends most of her time today with her second and final husband, Stephan. (Seriously, if this one doesn’t work out, she’s done, kaput, no more husbands.) She stays busy with her two children, Scarlett and Miles, and her “bonus child,” Anna. Their blended family also includes two four-legged hairy children, commonly known as Black Lab mutts, Kenda and Dolcé.
When Amy’s not with friends or family, she is most likely reading, cooking, or zoning out on certain reality television shows. Top Chef is a current favorite. She eagerly awaits auditions for the cast of “Top Author.” (“Quick Edit” instead of “Quick Fire” Challenge? C’mon, producers! That’s gripping television!)
About King County Sexual Assault Resource Center
King County Sexual Assault Resource Center (KCSARC) provides sexual assault-related services for people of all ages in King County, WA, while working toward the ultimate goal of eliminating sexual violence and abuse from our communities. We’re on the frontline with victims and their families, ensuring that all people affected by sexual assault get the treatment they need and advocacy they deserve. We’re also at the forefront of change, guiding public policy development and delivering best practice education to create safer environments for everyone.
KCSARC’s overall purpose is to alleviate, as much as possible, the trauma of sexual assault for victims and their families. Our mission is to give voice to victims, their families, and the community; create change in beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors about violence; and instill courage for people to speak out about sexual assault.